VAT in the Digital Age
E-Invoicing for European Companies
Since the introduction of E-Invoicing in the area of public procurement, the E-invoicing systems are rapidly changing. Today, several EU Member States have E-Invoicing systems in place which cover all kinds of invoices. This should reduce the susceptibility to fraud of the existing VAT systems and reduce the VAT gap. Besides this, cost cutting for taxable businesses is an additional aim.
Italy and other countries have electronic clearance systems in operation; as from 2024, France wants to introduce its own system and Germany now is also planning to implement an E-Invoicing system.
On the basis of its action plan for fair and simple taxation, the European Commission plans to modernise the VAT reporting obligations before the end of this year. It intends to present a framework for the safe transmission of digital invoice data via electronic reporting systems and possibly clearance procedures.
The introduction of such digital systems for the recording and the exchange of digital invoice data drastically changes the work flows of the fiscal authorities as well as the companies and their tax advisers.
Discuss with us and our guests from European politics and Experts about
- the advantages and disadvantages of the introduction of reporting and clearance systems for the digital recording and the exchange of e-invoicing data,
- the need for harmonisation at European level and
- the experiences of the EU Member States with the use of digital solutions for data recording and VAT-reporting systems based on a “best-practice” approach.
17:30: Welcome speech: Dr. Holger Stein, Vice-President of BStBK
17:45: Keynote: Patrice Pillet, Head of Unit VAT, DG TAXUD, European Commission
Presentation of the EU-Initiative “VAT in the Digital Age”
Where does the European Commission stand with regard to E-Invoicing?
18:00: Panel – E-Invoicing: The Digital Added Value
- Dr. Andreas Strub, Head of Unit Tax Policy, Customs Union and Export Credits, ECOFIN Council
- Patrice Pillet, Head of Unit VAT, DG TAXUD, European Commission
- StB/WP Christian Böke, Vice-President of DStV
- Moderator: Dr. Stefanie Becker, Tax adviser and VAT expert
Simultaneous interpretation: DE/EN
Location: Representation of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia to the EU - Rue Montoyer 47, 1000 Brussels